Thursday, July 17, 2008

I had my first tiramisu at a place in the Gaslamp District of San Diego. It was so good that as I traveled I tried to find a place that served as good a tiramisu as Mama Anna’s. I could not so I worked and worked until I perfected my own recipe that I think is the best. This recipe calls for ameretto but it can be used for any flavor you want, such as kahlua or raspberry, just add flavored liqueur to satisfy your craving.

Tiramisu

6 egg yolks
¾-cup sugar
2/3-cup milk
1-lb mascarpone cheese
1-1/4 -cups heavy whipping cream
½-teaspoon vanilla
¼-cup cold espresso
2-tabelspoon Ameretto or your favorite flavored liqueur
1-tablespoon cocoa
1 angel food or sponge cake that has been frozen and sliced thinly
¼-cup finely grated semi-sweet chocolate

Procedure:

In a saucepan, beat egg yolks and sugar with electric mixer or whisk until well blended and lemon color. Beat in milk and bring mixture to just boiling over medium heat, stirring constantly. Reduce heat and continue boiling and stirring for 1 minute. Remove from heat, cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate at least 1 hour.

After the egg yolk-milk mixture has cooled mix in the mascarpone cheese and blend well. Beat whipping cream and vanilla together until stiff; fold with a spatula the cheese-egg yolk mix into the whipping cream. Mix together the ameretto, espresso and cocoa. In a 13"x9" serving dish layer 1/2 of the lady fingers or make a layer of the thinly sliced sponge cake. Brush or drizzle with 1/2 of the Ameretto mixture. Repeat. Cover and refrigerate at least 8 hours, preferably overnight. Sprinkle with grated chocolate and serve.

No comments: