Friday, July 18, 2008


I have had a connection to Mexico all my life. My dad was a rancher and I grew up among the wonderful Mexicans who worked on the ranch. These were peaceful, happy, funloving and loyal people. Over the years many, many Mexicans, or Mexican Americans were my Dad’s best friends. I spent countless weeks in Baja on vacations or visits to friends and many weekends at the bullfights. Marla and I built a home in San Felipe in Baja and on the Sea of Cortez where we spent three winters. The home is now rented as we have decided to make Bellingham Washington our permanent home. But I marvel at my good fortune to be able to briefly live in a place that was so important to me as a child, teenager and young man. It is for this reason that I will be sharing a number of Mexican Recipes on this blog.


My Chile Verde

Chili Verde is my favorite Mexican dish and this is a recipe that I have
developed over many years of experimenting.

Ingredients
3 lb boneless pork roast, cubed into 1" pieces
2 tblsp olive oil
2 cups beef or chicken stock (see recipe in side dishes section)
1 6oz can diced ortega chiles
1 large onion, sliced
2 carrots, sliced
1 yellow chile, veins and seeds removed and chopped into small pieces
6 tomatillos, quartered
2 garlic cloves, chopped
4 celery stalks, chopped and leaves included
2 tblsp cumin
2 tblsp Mexican oregano
2 tblsp fresh lime juice
1 green bell pepper cut into 2” strips

Dredge cubed pork in flour which has been seasoned with salt and pepper, lawry’s seasoned salt and cumin to taste. In a large stock pot brown pork in olive oil until all sides are seared. Add chicken stock to cover pork and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until pork is very tender, about 1-1/2 hour.
Add remaining ingredients and bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer for about 1/2 hour until veggies are tender but not overdone. Add chicken stock if needed. Serve with tortillas and/or rice and beans.


No comments: